Sunday, February 6, 2011

Settling In

I've never been very good at keeping a journal, hopefully I'll do better with blogging.  Nothing very exciting to report here, though.

I had my first Creative Writing class on Thursday.  The professor is Canadian (that's right, I'm in Britain but have zero British professors) and seems great - very young and lively.  We did some writing straight away and then had to read our compositions out loud to a small group. Wasn't expecting that, but the class seems nice enough. Very small, only eight people were there (but maybe some were missing).

Friday night we went to Ken and Laurel's for open house and played games for a while, then stopped by the student union and visited a bar called Dusk.  Both were super busy, we couldn't even sit down!  It's been really interesting to go to bars and stuff here and "observe." The students here are so used to this sort of atmosphere and fun, they think it's hilarious that we Americans are so inexperienced.

Saturday and today I barely left my room. We have to have Mansfield Park by Jane Austen read for Thursday, along with some other homework, so I wanted to get that finished.  Alas.  That is not a short book, folks.  And it's not exactly exciting.  Basically: sexual tension...building...building...I'm too shy to talk to you...building...marriage proposal!...I don't actually love you....I'm pining after someone else....woe is me!  Also, back then when you were tired from walking or horse-riding, they called it being "knocked up."  Tee hee.

Tomorrow I'm going to Manchester for the day with a few others. Train tickets were about 13 pounds total, so we thought it was worth a day trip to see another city.  I'll hopefully have some pictures up from that soon.

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment