Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Birthday Update

It's my first birthday away from home!  I had some nice surprises (cake, candy, balloons) this morning, and I've been granted a beautiful, sunshine-y day here in York. 

I haven't updated in over a week, and it's daunting to look back and try to describe what I did!  Well, pretty much all of last week I had the flu, so that was a bit of a wash. Nothing very exciting to report.  Last Monday (before being sick) we did make it to Leeds for the day.  That was a pretty nice city, especially if you like shopping.  They have tons of fancy malls and markets, very fun.  There was also an awesome museum that was all about war and armor and weapons, etc.  It was full of kids on their winter break and was exciting to be it. It reminded me of a Smithsonian sort of museum - very well-kept and set-up.

This past Saturday was very nice, one of my favorite days here so far (although today is almost winning)!  We took a trip to Fountains Abbey, which is a SUPER beautiful site with huge grounds, the ruins of an abbey, a church, gardens, lakes, streams... ahhh.  It was a gorgeous day, and I could have walked around there for weeks.

This week I'm catching up on homework I missed, studying for our Roman History midterm (blech), and doing a lot of planning for spring break!  I've booked a flight to Paris, a hotel in Paris, and a cute bed and breakfast-y place in Villefranche sur Mer in the French Riviera.  It is so much work and takes such a huge amount of planning (and money!) to put this trip together, but I think it will be worth it in the end.  Hopefully this weekend I'll book our places in Barcelona, Venice, Florence, and Rome (where we'll be for Easter - Easter morning service at the Vatican, anyone?)

Very busy, no time to put pictures here, but if we're Facebook friends you can check out my photos there.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment