Sunday, March 20, 2011

Titles are the worst

Oh goodness.  I haven't posted in a while, sorry!

Saturday the 12th we went to Lincoln as a class.  This is another beautiful city with a cathedral as well as a castle.  We had a sunny day to explore the city, which felt similar to York.  The cathedral might have been my favorite so far, but I feel like I say that every time we visit a new one! Lincoln's cathedral was very bright and open in the nave, and the chancel and choir were intricate and beautiful as always.  They also had some of the coolest/most colorful stained glass I've seen yet - tall skinny ones along the aisles, as well as three rose windows.  The cloister was sunny and had an interesting modern art display in honor of Lent.
Lincoln Castle is an 11th century castle built by William the Conqueror.  We did a lot of climbing here: up to the walls, up the skinniest spiral staircase I've ever seen to a tower with a 360 view of the city, up to circular sort of walled garden... my legs were tired by the end of the day!

I've had a lot of schoolwork to do lately, papers and midterms and whatnot.  Those are mostly done now though, and I won't have tons of work until after spring break (which is SO SOON!)

It's been fun getting to know the nightlife of York.  Last week we celebrated a birthday of someone in my dorm building.   A popular thing to do here for your birthday is to pick a "fancy dress theme," which means everyone has to dress up according to what you pick.  It was Tim's birthday, so the theme was things that begin with T.   I had the brilliant idea of being Twilight - the actual physical book.  I can't get pictures to load right now, but let me tell you, it was awesome.  We started out at the student union, then went into town to a club called Gallery.  It has two dance floors right on top of each other, which is pretty coooool.  It was also Saint Patrick's Day this past week, so we went out to Slug and Lettuce, a popular chain restaurant with possibly the worst name ever, as well as a bar called Keystones.  We've also been frequenting some of the late-night eateries on the way back to campus - there is nothing better than cheap, piping hot pizza at 1am.

This coming weekend the class is traveling to Hadrian's Wall and some forts nearby.  Should be fun!  Thanks for reading, sorry about the lack of pictures.  Internet connection here is sketchy sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment