Friday, March 25, 2011

BSL

Thought I'd write up a quick blurb about something really cool I'm learning here in York - British Sign Language!

Before I got here, I didn't even realize/hadn't even considered that there were different sign languages.  But thanks to Wikipedia I now know there are hundreds!  Seriously, check this out.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sign_languages
Also, just read about sign language, it is fascinating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language

See, you learned something today!  There are also even different dialects of BSL, sort of like different accents.  Crazy. But I've been learning some BSL because one of my friends in the dorm here is deaf, and he and the rest of my friends all sign to each other at meals and whatnot.  I'm able to pick up a bit on my own, they taught me the alphabet (it's different than ASL) and today I finally got a full lesson on some basics.  I've wanted to learn sign for a long time - learning BSL is perhaps a bit counterproductive if I want to learn ASL back at home, but oh well!

Also, rejoice!  We've had short-sleeves and sandals weather here this week.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment